Sunday, February 19, 2012

Yoga Pants: a tutorial

*This tutorial was featured for National Sewing Month 2012 at FaveCraftsBlog!* 


My love of yoga pants began way before I actually tried yoga. But now that I'm actually attempting some classes at the Rec, my obsession is only perpetuating. I know this might seem like an intimidating project but, it's honestly so much easier than most clothing projects. And did I mention they are the most comfortable thing I own?  Seriously, I've been wearing these for at least some portion of the day since I made them. Luckily I got enough material to make another pair! 

Wanna make some too? 


*Note*

A serger is recommended but certainly not required for this project. The beauty of knit is that it won't fray like most other textiles. 

Assume 1/4" seam allowances.

Materials:

A pair of well-fitting yoga pants (to copy a pattern from)
3/4 yd.  Black Jersey Knit Fabric (it's the super stretchy kind)
1/2 yd. White Interlock Knit (It's the less stretchy, slightly thicker knit)
RIT Liquid Dye (Optional)


Tutorial:

Pre-wash your fabric! Don't skip this step unless you plan on always air-drying your pants.

Pick out your favorite yoga pants to use as a guide in this tutorial. Try to choose a pair that has a comparable stretch to the material you are using. 


Turn them inside out and find where all four seams of the pants come together. 


Pinch here and down the inseam of the pants so that you isolate one pattern piece of the pants. I started with the front piece.


Fold your fabric black jersey fabric in half so that you are tracing the pattern over two layers. Now,  you want to copy the pattern onto your fabric, extending out about 1/4" for seam allowances.



For whatever reason, the front pattern piece is always easier to trace. The back is a little bit trickier. Position the pants so that you see the curve of the back pattern. 



Again trace the pattern onto your jersey fabric. In the picture below I extended my tracing a couple of inches out because the outer seam of the pants was wrapped underneath the fold. There's no way to get the back pattern piece to lay completely flat without deconstructing your pants, so you just have to do your best to compensate. 


Now isolate the curve of the back pattern piece and continue tracing. 


Cut out your pattern pieces. You should have 2 fronts and 2 backs. 


Sew as shown below with right sides together:




Open your pattern pieces and now with right sides together, match up the seams you just sewed. 



Pin all around the inseam of your pants.


Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.


Pin and sew the outseam of your pants. Don't fret if one side is a little longer or shorter than the other, that comes with the territory of making your own pattern. 


Waistband

To determine the length of your waistband, you'll need to do a quick measurement of the opening of your newly constructed pants. Divide that number in half and add 2 inches.

i.e.: The opening of my pants measured 35" so the length of the rectangles for my waistband were 19.5". 

I used a height of 15 inches, but I think next time I would go with 17-18" for a little longer waistband. 

Cut two rectangle from white fabric to these dimensions i.e., Mine were 19.5" x 15".


With right sides together, sew one of the 15" sides together so that you have one long rectangle. 

I decided to add a little fun to my yoga pants and tie dyed my waistband. If that's not your thing, then skip the next few steps.

Fold your rectangle in half (hamburger style). Pick an area that you'd like the "bulls-eye" of your design to be.  Pinch both layers of fabric and pick up the waistband like a handkerchief. 



Twist and rubber-band in place.


Prepare your dye solution. I used a 1/3 of a bottle of RIT's liquid Teal dye with about two quarts of hot water. 

Submerge the waistband for about 5 minutes, or longer for a deeper hue.


Rinse in the sink until the water runs clear. Allow to dry for at least half an hour and then unband your fabric. 

Lay flat to dry.


Once the fabric is dry, you can sew the other end together. You want the finished waistband to be exactlty the same circumference as your pants opening, so measure and sew accordingly.


Fold over the waistband like so:


Now you're going to insert the waistband into the pants to be sew together. Turn the pants inside out and insert the waistband so that the raw edges meet the opening of the pants.

Pin in place all around. 



Sew.


Finish by hemming or serging the legs of the pants. 


And done! Ahh new, comfy yoga pants. 




 Rainy days make for some awkward finished product pictures. These were taken in the safety of a covered staircase. But yoga pants are perfect for lazy, rainy days. 





Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions!

...






53 comments:

lilgemae said...

Namaste!

Your ideas are always so cute, thanks for sharing!

Leah

Allyson said...

These are so adorable...and your tutorial is making me feel like I could actually do it! Thanks for sharing!

Allyson
http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com/

Craft Couture by T.C. said...

You are a genius! Thank you very much for a wonderful tutorial..you made it looks so easy that I think I could be able to make ones. :)

Amy @ dwell in the season said...

Adorable! I love those! :)

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

adorable! You are so talented :) they look super comfy!

mudnessa said...

Thanks for this, I really need to make a few pairs. I wear yoga pants to (my non yoga involved) work and they are starting to fall apart and I am not too fond of any of the colors and prices I've seen.

Janny said...

Tie Dye! That is awesome! Way to turn boring old knit into something fun. I would have never thought of doing it on a waistband. It's a nice touch.

Annie said...

Great tutorial! I've been wanting to get into yoga so this might make a good related project :) Love your addition of tie-dying as well!

Lady Mockingbird said...

Pants look great! I could totally use some of these! May I ask what settings you used on your serger?

www.LadyMockingbird.com

Shelly G said...

I love your tutorial. I am going to adapt it and make a 6 year old version. I think she will love them. Thank you for sharing.

Rebecca Heron said...

These are so cute! And really tempting! Added to my to do list if I ever get the courage to have a go! Thanks for Sharing!

VashtiCouture said...

I will venture to guess that you used a jersey knit for the pants (possibly with lycra?) and an interlock knit for the waistband.

these look great! I have never tried to make my own yoga pants, since I can usually buy them for cheaper, but customizing a purchased pair with a colored waistband might be fun!

Allie said...

Hi Katy! These are so great!! Loving the fun waistband. I featured them on my blog yesterday. I featured this bracelet on my blog yesterday. Come check it out and grab a button if you like! http://missloviecreations.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-favorite-things-thursday-not-on.html

Allie

The Desselles said...

Where did you get your screen/stamp with your name for your pants? I make some of my daughter's clothes and have been wanting some kind of cute label. Yours is adorable. Is it ironed in, or screened, or stamped...?

syocom said...

I am so going to make some now. Knits are so much easier than they seem. Thank you for the demo.

Alesha said...

Awesome tutorial! I want to try this! Thanks for sharing. =)
Alesha <3
http://tobless.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

You are amazing!! I can't wait to make my own!!
Youngbrokeandmarvelous.blogspot.com

CouldBeKim said...

I hope you enjoy your yoga classes! I love that you tye dyed the waistband yourself!

Kim

http://loopsoflavender.blogspot.com/

kfraga22 said...

This is a great tutorial! Super cute yogi wear! Thank you!

Kamela said...

The best tutorial ever~~~!!!!!! thank you!

Anna said...

This may be dumb, but I'm new to my serger. Do you take the pins out as you serge or are you just super careful to miss the knife? I've been scared to have pins anywhere close to my serger for fear that I'd accidently hit one and dull my knife! Cute pants and I do love your tutorials.

The Glass Slipper said...

LOVE this! You are so creative! and i love that you even put sweet verbena on the inside ;)

Also wanted to let you and some of your followers know that, a friend and I have a relatively "newer" blog, and we are doing our FIRST giveaway! Big chances to win! Head over to http://theglassslipperweddings.blogspot.com/2012/02/glass-slipper-fan-giveaway.html
to see how to enter! thanks for your support!

Jamie said...

How did you put the "sweet verbena" tag on them? It's so cute!

Jamie

http://www.popcornpaisliesandprayer.blogspot.com/

Katy said...

Thanks ladies! The "sweet verbena" is screen printed using my new silhouette!

Anna, yes I take the pins out as I go just like I do with my regular sewing machine.

(:

Anna said...

Oh ok. Thanks. I sew over pins on my regular sewing machine, and have never had any problem doing it.

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse said...

You make it look so easy! I love your tutorials and just started following with GFC. I do mostly home DIY's (some jewellery) but you're inspiring me to try DIYing some clothes!

Tanya
dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.com

iPrincess843 said...

These are so cute! I can't wait to see more!!

Christina C said...

These look comfortable and stylish, I can't wait to try them out!!

a diy fashion blog:
ExquisiteSearching.blogspot.com

Vally said...

Wow! Love your yoga pants! I will definetely wanna make one for my pilates class! Thanks so much for the tutorial! :-)

Unknown said...

I love these great yoga pants. I 've been looking at yoga apparel brentwood. I've heard good things about then. Do you know anything about their products?

Kim said...

Great Job!!! They fit so well. I wanted to comment on the confession you made this weekend. I myself have been there. I say pray for the right direction, and if your heart is telling you fashion...go for it! You can always teach later...maybe home economics or you could get a career in teaching others how to be a professional sewest. You are only young once. I did not pursue a career in fashion because I was afraid. I have learned through the years you must face your fears. Run to them, and then they can't control you. You are set free from them. You may feel afraid, but that's okay. Feelings will change. The other two scents I have to offer is don't try to please others only God and yourself, and therefore you will be much happier. Life is full of choices. Dare to dream, and go for it. Believe in yourself. Keep us updated. Whichever road you choose I believe you will go far!

Trisha said...

You've done an amazing job with the yoga pants, I'm quite tempted to try one myself!

hollis said...

How much did they cost you to make and how long did they take?

amandapoverseas said...

I also have loved yoga pants before I was even doing yoga. I will have to try these when I get a sewing machine.

Stephanie said...

such a good idea! they look great! love the blue tie dye

Games said...

Keep some fruit along with a bottle of water in the workplace. Should you be getting a enterprise celebration lunch, ensure there's a jug of water on the table; order 1st in order that you happen to be not tempted into ordering the complete turkey dinner, when all you actually have to have is a fresh salad.


http://2012drebeats.blogspot.com/
http://cheapestmonsterbeats.blogspot.com/

Kenzie said...

Love love love this! Question: What sort of stitch should I use on my sewing machine since I don't have a serger?

Jessica said...

What a great idea! Your yoga pants look super comfy.

I love your granny square pincushion!

Marga said...

They look great!!!xxx

Alex cox said...

If you are here for best apparel featured product deals, apparel discounts, apparel coupons and much more with great savings. Just visit the site dealaboo.com for your best apparel deals & discounts.

Frink Stifen said...

Here are numerous different methods of yoga trousers available, however they all have a couple things in common. They are all supple, exceedingly snug, and are made to fit you perfectly!

YOGA PANTS

RIAZ UDDIN said...

I think you are searching to Buy women yoga clothes? LiveBreatheYoga.Com is the Trusted name to Buy yoga cloth for Men and Women also.

Estevan Rigoberto said...

The yoga apparels are becoming very popular now as they are quite comfortable and relaxed while working out. The above apparels are very attractive and fashionable.
Yoga Pants

Monja said...

Thanks for the tutorial: it's very clear :)

Polly D said...

I had no idea it was so easy to make yoga pants! I'm actually thinking of shortening them to make shorts to wear under some of my skirts that I wish were skorts!! What a fantastic inspiration you are! Thanks!

Becky Ranes said...

You are so cute! Thanks for sharing your awesome tutorial. I'm planning to buy a fancy sewing machine and make all my own clothes.. especially yoga clothes. I love the high end organic designers like Prana and Lululemon but I can cut the cost in half by making my own. Your tutorial helps feed my growing confidence. <3

Ruth Dowling Coffman said...

I'm a new sewer and this is going to be my first project. Thanks so much for the clear and well documented instructions! :)

judithelenore said...

Made these today in about an hour! They fit perfectly and are so comfy! I don't have a serger,so I left the ends raw and used a zig zag stitch as it usually does better with knits!

Thomasine Singleton said...

Great job...looking forward to trying to make my own yoga pants.

Julia said...

Hi Katie,

This is Julia from FaveCrafts. This project is so great - thanks for sharing it with us! These pants look so comfy and I'm sure there are plenty of sewers who appreciate this fabulous pattern. Have a great day!

Rachel Evans said...

Good tips about Yoga Pants: a tutorial. Your tips is really informative for us........

organic yoga clothing

Ashlyine Brooke said...

Hi, just desired to let you know, I enjoyed this blog post. It had been funny. Carry on posting!
is bubblegum casting legitimate

Albert einstien said...

Really very informative content is here, thanks for sharing such info.
http://sweet-verbena.blogspot.com/2012/02/yoga-pants-tutorial.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...